Thursday, March 10, 2011

Keegan Wayne Case

Well, with a long awaited ending, we are so pleased to finally welcome our little man, Keegan. After the weekend of our due date had come and passed, Drew and I decided to stay home Monday morning (March 7) to call our doctor's office in order to find out what we would do next in the process of waiting.

While waiting to hear back from the doctor, Drew and I passed the time by checking emails and having breakfast. I decided to paint my fingermails and Drew was such a sport, he even let me paint his toenails- Bronco Blue, of course. While sitting on the sofa finishing his toes, I realized that my water had broke (9:10am). It wasn't quite what I had expected it to be (very light) so I wasn't sure what to expect next. Drew got SO EXCITED!!!! We both decided to take a shower and that we would go ahead and head towards the hospital. While packing the car, I heard back from the doctor's nurse and she agreed that we should head in.


We got to Labor & Delivery around 10:30 and were sent on a walk around the floor while waiting for a room. My water continued to leak, the most awkward feeling in the world, so we knew we were on our way. We got our room and met our nurse, Tia, around 12. Tia would come to be one of the best people we encountered the entire stay. She knew we wanted to have a natural birth and was quick to offer all the options we had to make that possible. She checked to see what kind of progess I was making and discovered that my water had become plugged so she re-broke it- again, feeling pretty weird. I was 4 centimeters, exactly where I had been the Friday before during our final doctor's appointment. I was frustrated that I wasn't farther, but we would soon learn that things happen all in their own time.



After Tia rebroke my water, I really started feeling my contractions and they were VERY close together, only 2 or 3 minutes. I asked to get in the soaker tub and to use the bathroom. While in the process of doing this, a huge wave of nausea and dizziness came over me- it really freaked me out as I had already had issues with dizziness earlier in my pregnancy. I got in the tub and began to relax but was very anxious about the side effects I was feeling. I told Drew that I didn't want to be sick the entire delivery and Tia quietly offered that an epidural would help with this. As much as I wanted to birth naturally, I had told Drew from the beginning that I wanted a positive birthing experience and at this particular moment, that meant getting an epidural. I was barely out of the tub when the drugs showed up. The nurse who delivered them was so much fun and made it easy to relax and within 10 minutes, I was a VERY happy camper.




Shortly after I got my shot, Tia checked where we were at and I was nearly 7 centimeters. We were moving right along. Drew and Tia and I just talked and joked around for the next bit, having a few visitors along the way. Within 45 minutes I was completely effaced and 9.5 centimeters. Tia started getting things ready, thinking she had a bit of time before anything actually happened. Almost immediately (4:45pm), I was 10 centimeters and ready to go. I was even feeling the urge to start pushing, something I was nervous I wouldn't feel with being drugged up. So, pushing commenced. I was scared of tearing so Tia took some great precautions in making sure I was taken care of. Things progressed so quickly, and Keegan was dropping so well, that our doctor nearly didn't make it in time to "catch". I started pushing at 4:45 and Keegan saw light at 5:47. It was all so amazing and "easy" that I couldn't believe it was over.



Keegan Wayne Case weighed 7 pounds and 7 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long. Drew was so excited to cut the cord. Keegan had some baby poop all over him so the NICU nurses were called to evaluate him, but there was no need- all was well. I got Keegan almost immediately after and he was beautiful. He laid so wonderfully on my chest- he just fit perfectly. Drew and I got about an hour and a half of time with Keegan, our little family of three, before we were moved upstairs to our recovery room. Of course, we were greeted by new aunts and grandmas and grandpas. It was so great to get to share him so soon.




We stayed in the hospital until Wednesday morning and then brought our son home. What an amazing start to what will be one of most amazing loves of my life. Welcome Keegan, your Mama loves you!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad all went well for both of you. If you don't believe in miracles, you've never been in the room when a new life is born. Enjoy your precious miracle! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete