Thursday, December 8, 2011

9 Months and a Few Rough Days

We had Keegan's nine month appointment yesterday and it went pretty well. Drew and I were making bets with each other as to how big our little boy would be. With as big as my arm muscles have gotten over the past few months, I was guessing he would be close to 21 pounds...Both Drew and I were over!

Weight: 19 pounds 6 ounces (40%)

Height: 28 1/4 (50% a big increase from last time)

Head Circumfrance: 46 cm ( 75 % not a surprise, have you met his dad?)

Everything was going fairly well. Doctor was very impressed with his growth, his continuous babbling, and of course his cuteness. Problems arose when they went to check his hemoglobin levels. Not only could they not get his needle stick points to stop bleeding, but his iron levels were really low. They had to stick him a second time, getting another low reading, and then stuck him a third time to give him his next hepatitus B shot. Needless to say he was not a happy camper.

Because of his iron count being so low, our doctor sent us to the hospital today to have another blood sample taken. I was the most nervous and anxious that I can remember being in the last 9 months. Drew went with us and Grandma Ardele met us in the lab. She basically hand-selected the best nurse there to do Keegan's tests, and it all went smoothly. Keegan certainly didn't like the needle stick in his arm, but the nurse and her aid (who helped me hold Keegan still) were both wonderful- we got it the first time and didn't have to do mulitple sticks. Keegan recovered quickly and was excited about the heart-shaped, plastic slinky he got at the end of it all. Ardele put Keegan's test to the top of the pile in the lab (it helps when Gma runs the place) and she called me with better numbers within hours. A bit later, I got a call from the pediatrician saying that Keegan's results came back normal!!!! She told me that the routine screens they do in their office don't always come out the best, but she was confident that the hospital did their job well, and that, most importantly, we wouldn't have to put Keegan on any kind of supplement!! YEA :)

What a relief. I had so many emotions all at once in regards to all of this and hardly any time to process it before it seemed over. We still have to have Keegan retested and make sure he's eating his leafy green (pureed) veggies and that he always stays hydrated. It's been a scary last 24 hours, but I am so grateful to have such a strong, wonderful family to stand by me and help me to be the best parent I can be. I know we'll have more hiccups along the way, but I know we will all make it through ok :)

No comments:

Post a Comment