Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Rock & a Great Place

I find myself in a very interesting place in my professional life. I won't hide that for the last few months I have been actively seeking out a new job. I'm not "un-happy" with my current job, but I am ready for a new demographic and a new adventure.

I've been working in health care, specifically geriatrics, for the last five years. I enjoy the wisdom and wit that these folks have and getting to have fun with them everyday, but I am not a fan of the required paperwork and documentation that comes along with it. I realize that paperwork comes with every job, but my kind of paperwork stinks!!

I really can't complain about my searching process as I've found many things I've found interesting. Since I started looking for a new job, I've had a few very interesting ones come across my path that have had even more interesting endings. I originally submitted my resume at Scentsy in hopes that I could get a spot on their event management team, but they have yet to have an actual opening in that department. I got wind of a few openings at BSU, but they didn't seem quite right. I threw my hat in the ring for a job at the Boise Chamber of Commerce that I thought would be perfect for me, and even though I know there's an opening, I have yet to hear from them. When I thought nothing was going my way, I got a call from an old job I had offering me the job I really wanted while I was there, but couldn't have at the time. A few things changed in their process and that too fell threw.

Tonight, with thanks to my sister who has been sending me job postings every week for the past several, I found out about a position open at the Discovery Center of Idaho. They're looking for a "Director of Visitor Services". The lucky winner would be responsible for every aspect of guest services from the front desk, to the the gift shop, to the daily happenings at the Center. Additionally, they would be responsible for a lot of the special events that are hosted in the facility; from birthday parties to annual fundraisers. Mostly, the new Director would get to help with daily presentations and would be on the floor playing all day long- how can you ask for anything more fun!?!?

I can't help but think that this job was created for me. Everything I've done, both academically and educationaly have prepared me for an adventure like this, and I can only hope that they believe enough in me on paper that they'll call to meet me in person. The hardest part is waiting for the job to close (on July 1) in order for the process to start. Prayers, crossed fingers, lucky charms are all appreciated as I look to the future and what it might hold for me and my family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment