Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Running

So low and behold, I've started running. It started out as a way to do something different in the gym, and has turned into quite the little hobby. I finally decided that I was going to really push myself and signed up to run the Boise Race for teh Cure on May 8th. But now that I've done so, I need to make sure I can actually run that much. On a treadmill, with a canvas belt beneath my feet going a hundred miles an hour (just kidding) I can run 2.5 miles easily (kinda). The 5K (3.1 miles) I've signed up for SHOULDN'T be much harder. With that in mind, Tuesday night was the first challenge I came across. My treadmill has an option on it to do a 5K, so I pushed start, escalated my time frame and started running. Knowing that I could run for 28 minutes (the usual time it takes me to run 2.5 miles) I began my trek. At 28 minutes, I had 1.12 kilometers left to go and I decided I needed to know what was in store for me. So I turned up my music, looked into the distance and kept going. Within 37:27, I was finished. I HAD RAN A 5K!!!! I was sooo excited I started cheering for myself and clapping and I'm sure everyone else in the gym was wondering just what I was doing. I was thrilled. So on Wednesday I tried it again, this time outside on the street (since that's where the race will be). I didn't run 3.1 miles, but I ran the entire time I was outside, about 20 minutes. I came home, still alive, but breathing hard. I felt soo accomplished!! Now, sitting here (yes, at work) I am already looking forward to running tonight once I get home. I never thought I would consider myself a runner, but am excited to see where the road takes me. And if anyone needs a running buddy, let me know...cause I can run!!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could run. I am such a bad runner. I have had thoughts that it would be fun to try and run a 5K but then I laugh and think...ha ha ha me run??? thats funny! I am so proud of you. You are an inspiration to me that is for sure. Love you Megan and good luck with your 5K.

    ReplyDelete